Stardust Salad

This was my favorite dessert as a kid. I remember the first time I ever ate it I was 12 years old and an Old Lady that lived next door made it for me once for helping her with some chores. After that I always asked for it everytime I went over. The nice old lady has since passed away but I still have happy memories of eating it with her.

Stardust Salad

1 box lemon jello
1 box orange jello
2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
40 miniature marshmallows
2 bananas, sliced
1 + 1/4 cup sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 cup pineapple juice
1 egg, beaten until foamy
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 oz cream cheese, softened

First layer:

Dissolve both boxes of jello in the 2 cups of boiling water. Stir til completely disolved and add 1 1/2 cups of cold water, bananas, crushed pineapple, and marshmallows. Pour into a rectangular baking dish (any shallow dish about 2 inches deep will do). Cover and refrigerate until jelled.

Second Layer:

Combine 1 cup sugar, flour, pineapple juice, and beaten egg. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Allow to cool completely. Once cooled top the jello mixture and refrigerate again until firm.

Third Layer:

Whip the heavy cream until light and fluffy. Fold in 1/2 cup of sugar and softened cream cheese. Top other two layers and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Cooks note: Some people top this with grated sharp cheddar cheese as a contrast to the sweetness, its not really my taste but if you like this flavor combination its a nice variation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cajun Sauce

Brownies on Steroids

Butter Pecan Cookies