Mamaw's Buttermilk Cornbread

I love cornbread. Oddly enough as a child my Great Grandmother (we called her Mamaw Barbee) used to crumble cornbread in a glass and cover it with milk and eat it with a spoon - to this day I still do that. Cooking for me is as much about my family and memories as it is the food.

Mamaw's Buttermilk Cornbread

1/2 cup butter
1/2 to 2/3 cup white sugar, depending on how sweet you like your cornbread
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 t. baking soda
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 t. salt

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Place the butter in an 8 inch cast iron skillet and put it in the oven and let it melt while you are preparing the cornbread mixture.

In a bowl sift together the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking soda. Once the butter is melted pour it into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Once combined add the eggs and beat well. Stir in the buttermilk. Finally stir in the sifted flour mixture and mix until well combined. Pour batter back in to the butter greased cast iron skillet.

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

I love to serve this with butter at dinner or with a nice honey butter or jelly. Of course as I stated above, my favorite is to crumble it in a glass with milk. It sounds funny but its very yummy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cajun Sauce

Brownies on Steroids

Butter Pecan Cookies