Brownies on Steroids

I decided on my 5th week of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies to make a bar cookie.  I made these a few weeks back and took them to a party and they got rave reviews... my friends like to tease me when I make them desserts asking if I could figure out how to pack more calories into each serving than I already do!  Well these certainly live up to the calorie overload they have learned to expect!


In all honesty I did find them to be tasty and a lot like a traditional 7 Layer Bar except with a brownie base instead of the traditional grahm crackers.  I made the recipe as written but I figured in a time pinch you could easily use a box brownie mix made per the instructions on the box and topped with all the yummy toppings.  I have a mixed feeling about them because I personally found there to be too many toppings so I would have probably scaled them back (but take that for what its worth because I am not really into desserts I just like making them) but my friends loved them as is!


Brownies on Steroids

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
3/4 cup cold butter
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup coconut
1/3 cup English toffee bits

In a food processor combine the flour, sugar and cocoa. Add the butter and process just until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Press firmly into a greased 13' by 9' baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

While crust is baking, combine condensed milk,vanilla and 1 cup of chocolate chips in a medium saucepan.

Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Remove crust from oven and pour chocolate mixture over crust.

Sprinkle with coconut, nuts and toffee bits and remaining chocolate chips.

Press down firmly.

Return to oven and bake for another 18-20 minutes.

Comments

  1. Those brownies are definitely packing some major flavor. I can't imagine anyone being able to resist these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound terrific, need to try making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious! And anything with toffee bits is tops in my book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I always do a magic bar at Christmas and this just took them up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I've done something like this before, but yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE the concept of these cookies....brownies with all the special ingredients of a "7 Layer Bar" as you said.....YUMMIEEEE! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious and looks decadent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my - I need to make these STAT! I would love them, and so would my kids.

    Of course, anything with chocolate gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's christmas without a lil bit of indulgencE? This sounds sinfully good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! The best part of the magic cookie bars (the toppings) with an even better base. What an awesome idea, these I will need to make!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many treats on a bar! You can't go wrong!
    Look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative, just like their title!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cajun Sauce

Butter Pecan Cookies