Pasta with Balsamic Butter Sauce and Pine Nuts

As complicated as this sounds it is actually very easy and very good. I came up with this recipe one night when I arrived home from work and was starving and didn't have a lot of ingredients on hang. Having never met a carb that I didn't like, I immediately went to pasta.

2 cups Pasta (you can use anything from Egg Noodles to Cheese Ravioli)
8 tablespoons Butter (1 stick)
2 1/2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
3/4 teaspoon Salt (I use kosher salt but regular table salt will work fine)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Pine Nuts (optional)
Mizithra Cheese (or whatever you have on hand)

Cook the pasta following the package directions.

While the pasta is cooking, put the stick of butter in a sauce pan over medium to medium low heat. Cook the butter watching closely and stirring occasionally. After several minutes the butter will be melted and simmering lightly (do not fry the butter). Once the butter starts to darken add the pine nuts. Cook the butter with the nuts for another one to two minutes until the butter is nice and browned and you smell the fragrant aroma of the nuts. Add the salt and pepper (I eyeball this for taste but I gave you suggested measurements if you are more comfortable with that). Then add the balsamic vinegar. The mixture will sizzle immediately as the sugars in the vinegar caramelize with butter. Cook an additional minute.

Drain the pasta and then return to pan and pour browned butter sauce over the pasta and toss lightly.

To serve, top with cheese of choice.

***See my "What Am I Cooking With" post for info on the kind of ingredients I tend to use in my recipes.***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cajun Sauce

Brownies on Steroids

Butter Pecan Cookies